blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
Discussions about cameras, lenses, accessories, and image-processing.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Sanho HyperDrive COLORSPACE 8 years 1 month ago #451

• Andrew Browne
  • Andrew Browne's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 26
I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this storage device. I heading on a 2 month Idlers Club 4WD trip June/July starting at Uluru and heading west to the coast exploring the deserts, gorges and coastline of this middle section of WA and need some non-computer, non-cloud storage for my images and looking at the new Sanho HyperDrive COLORSPACE UDMA3 (1TB version). A fair amount of time we will have no internet access.
I'm interested if anyone has used this model or one of the earlier UDMA2 models and how they found it.
Or perhaps you may have an alternate suggestion.
On my previous years trips I used a laptop, but its no longer an option, and trying to decide whether to buy another laptop or the Hyperdrive. I leave all my editing etc until I get home, and can selectively load some images onto my iPad for posting if required, but don't want to use it for storage of all my images (but someone may have an opinion on this too?)
Cheers AB

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Sanho HyperDrive COLORSPACE 8 years 1 month ago #452

• Glenn Pure
  • Thank you received: 203
Hi Andrew

I don't know anything about this device but you may find it simpler (and possibly cheaper) to buy more memory cards for your camera. SD cards should be fine - from what I've read, there is little to be gained from using CF cards, especially given the huge price premium. A 64GB card should hold around 2,000 RAW files from your camera (assume 32 MB average per RAW file). Nor should you need the fastest SD card on the market as your camera's buffer will make card write speed nearly irrelevant unless you are taking multiple bursts of many images in quick succession. Maybe you've already canvassed that idea though.

Please post once you settle on a final solution as I'd be interested to know for my own trips away.

Cheers
Glenn

Sanho HyperDrive COLORSPACE 8 years 1 month ago #453

• Andrew Browne
Thanks Glenn
No I didn't really think of using sd cards as I thought I needed to be using fast cf cards....that I currently use. This is an area I have no knowledge in, but worth costing it up.
What speed sd cards would you recommend given I use a Canon 5D III and don't often do birds in flight, and when I do it's no more than 5-6 frames in the sequence?
SDHC or SDXC??
Usuall purchase Sandisk brand, or are they all OK?
Sorry about all the questions but really appreciate your input once again
Cheers AB

Last edit: by Andrew Browne.

Sanho HyperDrive COLORSPACE 8 years 1 month ago #454

• Glenn Pure
  • Thank you received: 203
Hi Andrew

I'm no expert but did a little research before I posted. Unless you fill the buffer in your camera (which I think holds maybe 15 RAW images) and need to fill it again before all the data has been written to the card, then the card write speed will not limit you. An example calculation: for 15 RAW files = 15x32 MB = 480 MB would take maybe half a minute to write to a Sandisk Ultra (where you may get a sustained write speed of 15 - 20 MB/sec). So unless you are taking more than 15 RAWs every half minute or so during the peak of your photography, you'll never be aware of any issues with this particular card. Of course, once a few RAW files have cleared from the camera buffer to the card, you can add more images to the camera's buffer. As such, you'll be able to take more photos within a few seconds of filling the buffer. Note, the speeds they quote on the front of these card are all read speeds (for the Ultra it is 48 MB/sec). Writing is considerably slower and usually not disclosed - it's necessary to look at online tests to find out how fast they actually write. Faster SD cards are available but more expensive (eg Sandisk Extreme). Similarly, fast CF card are also available but a lot more expensive again. The SD cards I'm referring to are SDHC. Not entirely sure what an SDXC card is.

Whether this option works for you will depend on the maximum rate at which you take photos - that will affect the type of card you need and how much you have to pay. In terms of brands to buy, I'd stick with the big names, eg Sandisk or Lexar but others may be in a better position to comment. I've never had a problem with any of my Sandisk cards. I use Ultra and Extreme versions: my RAW files are smaller (about 25 MB) but the buffer in my camera is a lot smaller and will only hold about 5 RAWs if I remember correctly.

Another thing I don't know anything about for your camera is the fact that it has both CF and SD slots. I don't know if the two can be used together and whether images can be transferred from one to another. That may open up further options and speed things up for you but those who own the 5D III could provide enlightenment on that.

Cheers
Glenn

Sanho HyperDrive COLORSPACE 8 years 1 month ago #455

• Andrew Browne
Thanks again Glenn,appreciate the knowledge and advice you've been able to provide
Yes the 5D III has dual slots for CF and SD.
Will definitely cost up this option, as for most of my photography the sd cards at the slower upload speed will do the trick, and when I'm undertaking purely flight images I'll use my high speed CF cards.
Thanks for your help, I tried looking some of this up but only found very basic info or stuff that was too technical for me.
Currently busy packing for 3 weeks in Tassie...west coast forests fires permitting, east coast beaches, grand daughters in Hobart and of course a few days on Bruny Island.
Cheers AB

Sanho HyperDrive COLORSPACE 8 years 1 month ago #456

• Andrew Browne
Problem Solved!
Thanks for the follow up phone call Glenn. Yes I've been playing with my camera and card slots and have found and copied images from the CF card to the SD card. Problem solved......a really easy inexpensive way to store my images when travelling! Too easy! Cheers AB :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
Cheers AB

• Page:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.