blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
Discussions about cameras, lenses, accessories, and image-processing.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Arthur Morris/Birds as Art & Ari Hazeghi DUMP CANON for NIKON 6 years 2 months ago #1580

• Andrew Browne
  • Andrew Browne's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 26
Both state the reason is the superior Nikon AF for BIF

Both have sold all or the majority of their canon gear

1. Arthur Morri/Birds as Art
Reported last night by Bruce Terrill in another thread: "Just to throw a small spanner in the works, l noticed on his website last night, that Arthur Morris has sold every last piece of his Canon equipment, quit as a Canon ambassador and has moved across to Nikon exclusively. . ."
Ian Wilson then advised: "Thanks Bruce, I too looked at what Arthur had to say last night. I think any members who are interested can make up their own minds about what it all means by visiting his blog site and following the thread down to the bottom, including the answers to questions from his many fans. For Arthur's blog look here:
http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2018/01/24/why-i-switched-from-canon-to-nikon/

2. Ark Hazeghi
See his reasons in his latest newsletteryesterday at:
http://arihazeghiphotography.com/blog/switch-to-the-dark-side/

(Apologies for not using the hyperlink facility, but a memory lapse: I've forgotten how to!)
Cheers AB

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Andrew Browne.

Arthur Morris/Birds as Art & Ari Hazeghi DUMP CANON for NIKON 6 years 2 months ago #1585

• Glenn Pure
  • Thank you received: 199
An interesting development that I noticed this morning too. However, Canon users need not lose any sleep as will become clear after reading Hazeghi's explanation. To summarise it in one quote on why he has switched:

"Q: Is the AF the only reason? Is it that much better?

A. Yes, that’s the only reason. The Canon AF system is and has been great, it has produced many exceptional and dynamic images for me, however it does have some shortcomings. At this point, more than before, I find myself after that top 5% action frames where AF makes or breaks my day, and for this particular subject the difference is clear and measurable."

Note also that Hazeghi and Arthur Morris work together on a number of initiatives, notably birdphotographers.net. While Morris will have made his own mind up, I won't be surprised if Hazeghi was a significant influence.

If you want to become one of the world's best bird flight photographers, then think carefully about your camera choice. For the rest of us, carry on!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andrew Browne

Arthur Morris/Birds as Art & Ari Hazeghi DUMP CANON for NIKON 6 years 2 months ago #1586

• Ian Wilson
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 495
These are certainly interesting times for avian flight photographers. Arash and Arthur are not the only ones changing to the dark side. Doug Brown, one of the moderators at BirdPhotographers.Net, started the ball rolling a few weeks ago. Arash has given the clearest explanation of his move to the D5 + 600 mm f/4; he hopes to be able to record some of the wild action that he has previously been unable to consistently nail with his Canon gear.

As far as I am concerned, I will be staying with Canon and look forward to the release of the 600 mm f/4 DO which will be more important to me than a slightly better AF system in the D5. There is also a rumour that a 1Dx-series camera more suitable for wildlife is in contemplation by Canon. This will have smaller pixels than the current 1DxII and a higher frame rate than the 5DIV. Such a camera with the 600 mm f/4 DO would be unbeatable for bird photography in my opinion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bruce Terrill

Arthur Morris/Birds as Art & Ari Hazeghi DUMP CANON for NIKON 6 years 2 months ago #1588

• Bruce Terrill
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 47
Hi Ian,

I should be really careful here with what I say because every word that I put in print seems to be scrutinized. . .
I noted that both (???) Arash and Arthur said that Canon only had two cameras currently on the horizon, the 80D and the 7DIII, with the 7DIII unlikely to show its head this year?
That being said, one could guess that they weren't prepared to wait around for any decent arrivals to replace the 5D or 1DX line-up?
IMHO. . .

Bruce

• Page:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.