blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
Having trouble identifying a bird? Hopefully, someone here can help.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Feather Aberration in Red-rumped Parrot 7 years 3 months ago #832

• Mary Wheeler
  • Mary Wheeler's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 6
Attached are 2 photos (of dubious quality) of what I believe is a Red-rumped parrot. This bird flew into a tree in our garden with a male bird. They perched on separate branches but were calling softly to each other
as these parrots do. I don't know if it is a male or female, but as it arrived with a male bird I'm assuming it is a female, as these birds are almost always seen together in pairs. As you can see from the images the plumage is nothing like a Red-rumped parrot. I have no idea what causes plumage aberrations in birds. Any ideas or comments?
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Feather Aberration in Red-rumped Parrot 7 years 3 months ago #834

• Ian Wilson
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 496
Hi Mary,
I have been hoping one of our experts would give you a reply. From what I can see, this is probably a juvenile female as it seems to have a cream cere and light coloured bill. Plumage on the side of the head appears mottled like the adult female. Juveniles begin a partial post-juvenile moult soon after leaving the nest, finishing 2-3 months later. I am wondering if the overall mottled appearance is due to juvenile feathers growing out (yellowish), surrounded by new greener feathers. Then there is the possibility of aberrant plumage as you mention. According to HANZAB, birds have been recorded with varying amounts of yellow plumage. Museum Victoria has a number of aberrant plumages in its collection with several having scattered yellow feathers. An explanation of the origin of aberrant plumage is beyond my limited knowledge of genetics. Sorry I am unable to be more helpful, maybe someone else can give us an authoritative answer.
Regards,
Ian

Feather Aberration in Red-rumped Parrot 7 years 2 months ago #886

• Mary Wheeler
  • Mary Wheeler's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 6
Thanks Ian,
Have been meaning to get back to you. I showed these photos last week to a very respected birdo who leads our Pilliga group, David Johnston. David has been surveying the Pilliga Forest for many many years. His opinion is that it is a feather aberration in a mature bird.
I have been keeping a lookout for this bird at our bird drinkers, but have not seen it since.
Thanks for your time, and as you say maybe someone can give us a definitive answer.
Mary

Feather Aberration in Red-rumped Parrot 7 years 2 months ago #887

• Bruce Terrill
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 47
Hi Mary and Ian,
I am no expert at this sort of thing, but I did notice this the other day and I'm adding it here because it should be of interest.
If you scroll down a couple of images you will see what I'm talking about. . .

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#inbox/159f34a0e0572946

Hope that this helps and is of interest. . .
Kind regards,
Bruce

Feather Aberration in Red-rumped Parrot 7 years 2 months ago #888

• Rob Parker
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 113
Hi Bruce,

The link you posted is to an item in a gmail account's in-box, and is only visible to you; no-one else can see it. Presumably, the email item contains a link to a "real" internet article; that's what you need to post here so that others can access it.

Rob
BirdLife Photography Website Administrator
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bruce Terrill

Feather Aberration in Red-rumped Parrot 7 years 2 months ago #889

• Bruce Terrill
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 47
Hi Rob,
Thanks for the reply and info mate. Sorry but I'm not 'that' good with all this adding links stuff. . .
It is a link to the latest outing by the BirdLifeMelbourne group and has just been posted out.

Banyule Flats and Wilson Reserve – January 2017

If someone with some puter skills who has this latest outing report, could you please post it here for the purposes of helping to identify the Parrot aberrations. . .
Kindest regards,
Bruce

• Page:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.