blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
Having trouble identifying a bird? Hopefully, someone here can help.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

White Cheeked Honeyeater? 6 years 10 months ago #1174

• Simon Pelling
  • Simon Pelling's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 260
Grateful for opinions on identification of this bird. My initial reaction was a New Holland Honeyeater which is common in suitable habitat in Canberra, but largish cheek patch, brown iris and relatively prominent white eyebrow suggest White Cheeked. On the other hand, the slight white crescent under the eye seems more characteristic of New Holland. Location is in wetland area in the ACT.

Simon Pelling
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

White Cheeked Honeyeater? 6 years 10 months ago #1177

• Bruce Terrill
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 47
The books seem to indicate a White cheeked Honeyeater, although the new Australian Bird Guide doesn't list them as being a resident of the ACT?
Bruce

White Cheeked Honeyeater? 6 years 10 months ago #1178

• Peter Johnston
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 38
Hi Simon
Along with the slight white cresent under the eye, looks like, the bristle-like feathers forming a beard, which is also a Hollander feature.
Could this be a hybrid?

White Cheeked Honeyeater? 6 years 10 months ago #1179

• Simon Pelling
  • Simon Pelling's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 260
With a bit of searching I have found a previous reference (October 2016) to a similar bird in the ACT, and suggestions it is a hybrid (see http://www.birdsinbackyards.net/forum/Hybrid-Honeyeater). The photo is very similar - indeed it could even be the same bird given that only a few months separate my sighting with this.

Thanks for the views so far - if any other honeyeater experts in the ACT can confirm I would be grateful.

Simon

White Cheeked Honeyeater? 6 years 10 months ago #1180

• Peter Johnston
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 38
Nice bit of research there Simon.
I also noticed the incomplete white-cheek patch but neglected to mention it. My money says, hybrid!.

• Page:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.