blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
Having trouble identifying a bird? Hopefully, someone here can help.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Bird ID 6 years 3 months ago #1513

• Geoffrey Dennis
  • Geoffrey Dennis's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 9
Hi All

Some time ago I submitted a photo of a "Brown Goshawk" (Image A0555) into one of the Intermediate Level competitions (Best Ever for 2015). The bird was photographed at Broome Bird Observatory in Sep 2014. The image I submitted for the comp did not show the end of the tail and therefore did not get picked up at the verification stage. Today I was having a look at other photos of the bird taken on the same day, and now I am pretty sure it is a Collared Sparrowhawk. I say this because of the slightly forked tail shown in image A0564 (attached) rather than the rounded tail of a Brown Goshawk. Also Image A0568 shows the bird has narrow legs etc. The birdlist for the Broome Observatory shows that Collared Sparrowhawks are uncommon there, which may be the reason I didn't get this right originally.

However, before I fix this up, I would appreciate some comments from the Forum to confirm that it actually is a Collared Sparrowhawk rather than a Brown Goshawk.

Regards
Geoff Dennis
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Bird ID 6 years 3 months ago #1514

• Geoffrey Dennis
Having looked at this again, I am leaning back towards Brown Goshawk. The key feature for me to change my mind again is the "brooding brow" which to me seems quiet distinct. The swallow tail really confuses me here.

Bird ID 6 years 3 months ago #1515

• Peter Johnston
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 38
Hi Geoffrey
I, too, am thinking Brown Goshawk. To me, the front toe is not as long as is usually seen on a Collared Sparrowhark.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Geoffrey Dennis

Bird ID 6 years 3 months ago #1516

• Ian Wilson
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 496
I too am inclined towards juvenile Brown Goshawk ssp didimus based on the pale blue under the yellow cere. The pale blue in your images does not appear to extend in front of the cere as in sparrowhawk. The new CSIRO Guide shows the face details on p. 233.

Cheers, Ian.

Bird ID 6 years 3 months ago #1520

• Geoffrey Dennis
Thanks Ian and Peter. Yes I agree and will go with the Brown Goshawk. Sounds like I need to get the CSIRO field guide as I hadn't seen the bit around the cere before. Really confusing when the bird has a distinct brooding look and swallow tail.

• Page:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.