blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
Post links to your video clips; discuss video techniques.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Australian Shoveler pair at Laratinga Wetlands today. 6 years 10 months ago #1128

• Les Peters
  • Les Peters's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 49
Anas rhynchotis

A pair of Australian Shovelers take an early morning break. Recorded using a Sony Z150, shot in UHD @ 100 Mgs per second, reduced to 720 at less than 1 meg per second.on Vimeo. Sigh.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Les Peters.

Australian Shoveler pair at Laratinga Wetlands today. 6 years 9 months ago #1136

• Bruce Terrill
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 47
Hi Les,
I enjoy watching your quick little videos, please keep them up.
I know how much work goes into editing one of these things and used to think my mate was a nutter for the amount of time he took to put together small videos of us diving.
As is the nature of the beast, with the beast being this forum's community you certainly won't be overloaded with feed back, but I, for one, really enjoy your little productions.
Thanks for sharing. . .
Bruce

Australian Shoveler pair at Laratinga Wetlands today. 6 years 9 months ago #1146

• Les Peters
  • Les Peters's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 49
Thanks Bruce.

I can't recall getting much feedback about the clips, though i do get plenty on Facebook when I post there. During the first year I spent running this forum, there was remarkably little feedback about anything. It's definitely doing better now than it did then. :-)

The videos don't take long to edit, but it can be difficult to colour match between several clips. Perhaps the whole thing is harder than I think since very few people look at clips or contribute them in our group. I guess Sonya is the only other regular contributor. Glen's posted a nice one, but one clip doesn't make a spring (...or is that a swallow?)

In contrast, I've seen 22,000 hits for one of Brian O'Leary's videos which I put on facebook for him and which only got a handful of looks in the forum. This shows the group is chiefly interested in stills. Nothing wrong with that, but that seems a shame since no new gear is required to take video However, outside the group I am seeing far more video being taken by bird watchers than I did in the past, and I suspect this will be the way of the future. For one thing it's much harder to get a good clip than it is taking stills ( I'm not talking technically here, but just capturing bird behaviour etc). That's part of it's appeal. At its best, there's a living aspect to a clip that I find very appealing.

By the bye, one of my videos, which has had 23,000 hits, is an hour and a half long. I put short clips up here to hopefully keep people's interest. Be careful what you wish for. The next one might be much longer. :-)

Thanks again for the feedback.

• Page:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.