blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
General discussion areas.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

10 Incredible Bird Photography Tips for Beginners 3 years 7 months ago #2548

• Glenn Pure
  • Thank you received: 205
I understand your logic, Rodney, but I personally don't get bothered or concerned by members who feel they don't want to enter comps or submit photos. I also wouldn't read too much into explanations of lack of equipment. Equipment can be obtained at modest cost for entry level gear if there is serious intent there. I think it is more general discomfort or lack of confidence or genuine 'fire-in-the-belly' interest by some members that is behind not contributing to the image database. I don't think this will be overcome simply by having a phone camera-based comp (or some other concept like this that lowers the bar). In fact, I think a competitive situation is more likely to discourage than encourage. Those people will engage when they are ready and many would probably feel more comfortable in a situation where their efforts were less likely to be judged or compared to the work of others (unlike a competition). I personally think that for some or many of these members they may never want to be active photographers contributing to our image library. I'd be more comfortable respecting their wishes and psyche, allow them to be part of and support our group in the way they were comfortable with and simply accept that not everyone will want to be an active photographer. The real challenge for us is to make membership worthwhile for them and provide channels and ways for them to become active photographers that are gradual and maintain their confidence should they develop a desire for this.

I'm sorry if this sounds overly critical of your idea. That's not my intention. I want to emphasise that we need to try to put ourselves in their shoes and in their minds when approaching the task of how to make their membership satisfying and worthwhile.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Seymour, Ian Wilson

Please Log in to join the conversation.

10 Incredible Bird Photography Tips for Beginners 3 years 6 months ago #2550

• Rodney Appleby
  • Rodney Appleby's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 50
Hi Rob.
There will always be a discrepancy between cameras that people own regardless of the type. The reason I suggested phones is that most people have one with a camera these days and a lot of people (especially those looking on Facebook) are familiar with how to post there. Also given that most people view Facebook on a phone or tablet then the resolution is less of an issue.
Yes, there will always be people that don't do anything, but as I indicated in my original post, the survey indicated that a lot of beginners felt intimidated. I am trying to find ways to present a level playing field for them to start posting, comparing, and learning.
I have the privilege of coordinating the Birdlife Southern Queensland, Southern Group monthly Birdwalk. I often have participants say "I won't get a good picture as you because I don't have a camera like yours". I spend time with these people both encouraging then to take the shot and how to get a better shot with the camera they have. I am trying to find ways to do the same with our beginners. This was one, simple, easy to implement in a format that a lot of members use.
Backyard birding with any camera, but once again, close vicinity, equipment less important, etc I think is a good idea. And I think putting it on Facebook as discussed above would be great.
Love to hear from more members.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rob Solic

10 Incredible Bird Photography Tips for Beginners 3 years 6 months ago #2551

• Rodney Appleby
  • Rodney Appleby's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 50
I think the last survey showed that there is a group of people who would like to participate but are uncomfortable to do so. And for every one of these that responded we would hope there were 5 more out there with the same view. The concept of a Facebook "competition" may be the wrong words. Facebook is based on  Likes, so maybe rather than being critically assessed we could have a # for the entry and we promote the 3 most liked submissions in our monthly newsletter.
I don't like using terms such as modest cost. What is modest to you and me is a considerable cost for others. I have had these conversations with people on our monthly bird walks and who have asked me what sort of camera they should buy. My first question is what is your budget? I believe my camera equipment is modest but I have seen jaws drop when I say how much it is. Luckily I am in a fortunate position.
We need to look at different ways to have members participate in all aspects of BLP. The Facebook pages is both a popular forum and a great way to spread our name more widely. We need to look at how to use it as a promotional tool as well as a way for everyone (and beginners) as a forum to develop their skills and confidence.
I am unsure by what you mean "lowering the bar". The whole concept of the idea is you can get a great quality image with very basic gear. BLP can educate you on how to do this both when taking the photo and with some simple post-processing. Just et out there and start giving it a go.
In all honesty, if we have half our members not willing to submit a photo, as a bird photography group, whether it be a competition, a gallery, or Facebook then what we have critically reassess what we have been doing to date.

10 Incredible Bird Photography Tips for Beginners 3 years 6 months ago #2565

• Ian Wilson
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 496
I have never tried to take a bird photo with a mobile phone, it just doesn't seem to be the right tool for the job. Someone who has tried is BLP member Georgina Steytler who recorded her thoughts and experience on her blog here It looks like it is not easy to get an acceptable result. Maybe second-hand gear is the solution for cost-sensitive people.

10 Incredible Bird Photography Tips for Beginners 3 years 6 months ago #2566

• Wilson Lennard
  • Thank you received: 10
I think the originator of this thread (Rodney) is trying to make the point that beginners of BLP feel intimidated in terms of entering competitions and maybe it would be a good idea to try different ways to engage with them. The absence of good equipment is simply an example of what some new members find is their particular perceived limitation; I am sure there are others that the survey could not specifically identify. Mobile phones and Facebook were simply EXAMPLES to try and get the point across; not specific suggestions. I always find it fascinating how people reading posts concentrate on what they think is important, rather than understanding or acknowledging the intent of the entire post. I agree Rodney, BLP needs a way to engage better with beginners and I would go further and say all photographers at all levels. I have tried to make suggestions in the past in terms of how the bird photo comps are operated, especially in terms of trying new ways to assist all photographers to understand how competitions work and how to provide more upfront information so the judging parameters used by Mystery Reviewers are better understood and can be met in a more suitable manner by those entering. But, I was basically met with a concerted and defensive response with no interest in being open to new ideas or suggestions. This seemed to me to suggest there is little interest in the BLP Committee for any ideas apart from their own. I was recently asked if I would assist with the Mystery Reviewer duties, at the Basic level. When I asked "why only Basic level?", I was told that "...only experienced and advanced photographers were acceptable to provide reviews at Intermediate levels and only photographers who had won competitions were suitable for Advanced level reviews.". When I asked "Is winning both the BLP Intermediate and Advanced level competitions acceptable to review Intermediate and Advanced level BLP competitions?", the response was "I didn't know you won these BLP competitions?" When I said "I have provided Mystery Reviews across all 3 levels (basic, Intermediate and Advanced) in the past", I received a response of shock! I present this only as an example of the fact that those running things, as I have suggested above, have little knowledge of the broader membership and this means any decision making is kept within a small community of people. I think you make a good point Rodney. Beginner engagement is the pivotal control point where beginner photographers can decide if they wish to go further with their photography. I think they require encouragement and I think it is far more important that, at the Beginner and Intermediate competition levels, the point is far less about judging what is good and what is not, but more so, is about teaching people how they may improve. Post-facto "Mystery Reviews" that concentrate on continuously pointing out the "issues and problems" that the presented images possess is not a sensitive way to encourage or teach new photographers and is basically, archaic in nature. Upfront, full disclosure of what particular Mystery Reviewers look for in images would be far more beneficial to new photographers who are trying to learn. It is also of paramount importance to explain to new photographers that, apart from the technical basics (sharp, well-exposed, correct white balance, etc.), the remainder of "judging" is highly subjective (composition, negative space, additional subject distractions, tells a story, engages the viewer, etc.) and therefore, highly individualistic. This means you can take, process and present a really good image, but if it does not meet the Mystery Reviewers "idea" of what is good, then it doesn't induce any positive response and the photographer is left wondering? I am constantly left wondering how any of this assists new and even intermediate photographers? I for one look at all Mystery Reviewer responses each competition and admit, I am regularly "left wondering" how a particular image was judged to be suitable for the top five? And the clear and acceptable response to that question is: judging photography, beyond technical basics, is highly subjective and based on individual taste. If not having what is perceived to be the "correct gear" is a perceived limitation for new photographers, then how intimidating is the BLP Competition process?

I would think beginner engagement and openness to new ideas is vital to an organisation like BLP to ensure long-term success of the organisation. Rodney, I hope you get a better chance to try and represent your new ideas and suggestions.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rodney Appleby

10 Incredible Bird Photography Tips for Beginners 3 years 6 months ago #2567

• Rob Solic
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 30
My first DSLR camera was the Canon EOS Kiss X4 (18 megapixels), and it was coupled up with a Sigma 150-500mm DG contemporary lens. I paid $400 for the camera and $550 for the lens, which is cheaper than most of the popular mobile phones on the market today. How did it perform? One of my first images uploaded to Birdlife Photography Australian Magpie is as good as any photo I have taken on my 7D Mark ii or my 5D Mark iii. The camera lacked many things, however, it was an exceptional performer in the right conditions. Once I learned what the camera could and could not do, together with developing an understanding of bird behaviour through observation, bird photography started to become fun.
My point is that you do not need to spend a lot of money, however, you do need to spend some money. You also need to learn how to use your equipment and put in the hours, many of which will be frustrating after continually missing one shot after another, especially when rotating the dial on to 'M' mode for the first time!:huh:
With the above in mind, my most important takeaway and my most important points for beginners are that you do need to spend some money, and you do need to put in many hours. And then one day the hard work becomes challenging, fun and rewarding, with the odd profanity thrown in for good measure when a stick gets in between your lens and the bird!:lol:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ian Wilson, Rodney Appleby

Last edit: by Rob Solic.
  • Page:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.