blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
Discussions about cameras, lenses, accessories, and image-processing.

TOPIC:

Accurate colour management 4 years 4 weeks ago #2336

• Simon Pelling
  • Simon Pelling's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 262
One of the issues that BLP moderators seem to keep seeing in submitted images is problems with colour. This can take a variety of forms such as:
- inaccurate white balance - obviously too warm or too cool
- obvious colour casts, shifted to magenta or green
- oversaturation, particularly of brightly coloured birds
- inaccurate reds (many cameras/raw processors seem to lean towards oversatured and 'blown' reds)
- inaccurate sky colour.

Of course, sometimes people do this deliberately for effect (eg warm white balance to capture the feel of the evening light). I'm not particularly interested in a discussion about whether this is wrong or right.

Rather I would be interested in a discussion about how members ensure accurate colour in their bird photography (assuming this is a desirable thing to do). What do you use to measure whether colour is 'accurate' ie what's the standard you compare to? Do you have some 'mind picture' about what you recall of the scene at the time? Do you try and achieve something that looks like the drawings in ABG? Do you just rely on getting accurate white balance and assume the rest will follow? Do you just rely on software or camera defaults? And how do you then go about achieving accurate colour in post-processing?

Simon
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rob Parker, Mark Lethlean, David Seymour, Ian Wilson, Glenn Pure

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Accurate colour management 4 years 4 weeks ago #2337

• Ian Wilson
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 497
The following is snipped from my presentation at the Fremantle national bird photography conference. It is advice for users of Canon DPP image editing software.

The first topic I want to discuss is rendering the bird in natural colour. This will certainly be the case if the aim is to produce an image suitable for an identification gallery or photographic guide where subtle differences in tone can be important in identifying the species, sex or age of the bird. If your objective is to catch the eye of competition judges or use gaudy colours to impress unsophisticated viewers on social media, then read no further, this is not for you. A prerequisite is to use a decent size calibrated monitor such as the enthusiast and professional grade models manufactured by Dell, NEC, Ben Q and Eizo. By calibrated I mean external hardware calibration using a device like a Datacolor Spyder or X-Rite ColorMunki. With average use, all monitors need recalibration every couple of months. Regular calibration will correct drift in brightness, colour temperature, gamma curve, white and black point.

I also assume you know how to adjust the white balance so that your image does not have a colour cast. For birds with neutral white or grey parts this is easy; the RGB values for these parts should be approximately equal and can be fine-tuned using the DPP white balance adjustment tools. In other cases it can be difficult and you will need to rely on the pre-set white balance appropriate for the lighting, that is, Daylight, Shade, Cloudy, Flash, etc. Even then you may not be satisfied with the colour in which case you may resort to making adjustments to the Blue–Amber and Magenta–Green sliders or the Colour Temperature slider but you should only attempt to do this if you have a properly calibrated screen otherwise you may make the colour adjustment worse.

That brings me to perhaps the most important and least understood part of this discussion – Picture Style. Most bird photographers set their camera to picture style Standard because the user manual describes images recorded with this style as vivid, sharp, and crisp. This is the general-purpose Picture Style suitable for most scenes. It reads like just what we want but is it? Here is my interpretation of what it means; saturated, sharpened, with higher contrast and brightness to produce pleasing out-of-camera JPEGs. Is that what we really want? The other alternative is picture style Neutral which is suitable for processing an image with a computer. For natural colours and subdued images with modest brightness and colour saturation. My interpretation of this is that Neutral is suitable for processing RAW images and is the best picture style for producing natural colours. Now that looks more like what we want and indeed it is.

By all means shoot with picture style Standard; it will produce a pleasing JPEG on the back screen of your camera. It will have a default sharpening amount applied and the brightness will be boosted so that if the ‘blinkies’ are just turning on, when you change to picture style Neutral in DPP for processing the image, no parts should be over-exposed. But what about the assertion that Neutral is the best picture style for producing natural colours? To my knowledge you won’t find a satisfactory answer to this question easily if at all. Camera reviews and photography forums are full of ill-informed comments about all manner of things but especially ‘Canon colour’. Be aware that people are referring to out-of-camera JPEG colour when they talk about Canon colour so it is not even relevant to our discussion. To prove to myself that picture style Neutral is best for producing natural colours, I photographed an X-Rite ColorChecker colour reference target and compared the recorded RGB values with the calibration RGB values supplied with the colour checker. Now this looks like it should be easy but beware; the calibration RGB values were measured with light from Illuminant D65. What’s that you may well ask? Illuminant D65 is an international standard light source used in lighting measurement labs which produces light having similar brightness and spectral characteristics to sunlight on a clear day at mid-day in locations near sea level in mid-latitudes. I decided my local cricket pitch, on a clear day, would be an ideal location to satisfy the illumination conditions for photographing the colour checker. The results were impressive with close agreement with the manufacturer’s colour checker calibration values when the picture style was set to Neutral. For other picture styles there were noticeable differences, especially with Landscape where a significant amount of saturation is applied. The result of all this is that I am now satisfied that picture style Neutral is indeed the best choice for producing natural colours. Some photographers only believe their own eyes so here is a practical example of how different picture styles render blue sky and for comparison I have included a blue sky standard (Fig. 1). I photograph my images with the camera set to picture style Standard and when the image is imported into DPP the first thing I do is change the picture style to Neutral for subsequent processing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rob Parker, Bob Young, David Seymour, Glenn Pure, Simon Pelling

Accurate colour management 4 years 3 weeks ago #2338

• Glenn Pure
  • Thank you received: 205
As Ian says, a critical first step is calibrating your monitor and with a piece of dedicated calibration hardware. However, if you don't have this kit, it's quick and simple to do a basic visual calibration using inbuilt calibration tools in Windows and Mac computers (do a search with your favourite search engine to discover the details; for Windows it is 'Calibrate display color'). You'll still be better off with a calibration done this way than none at all. And the Windows one only takes a couple of minutes to run through... but it is very basic and not as good as using a proper calibration tool.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ian Wilson, Simon Pelling

Accurate colour management 4 years 3 weeks ago #2339

• Bob Young
  • Thank you received: 8
Ian, you said that your post "is advice for users of Canon DPP image editing software"
I have no hesitation in adding that it is also completely compatible with Lightroom CC

Last edit: by Bob Young.

Accurate colour management 4 years 3 weeks ago #2344

• David Seymour
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 65
Just a note that a related discussion that I introduced at this point referring to the topic of allowing comments on posted images, together with some subsequent related posts, has been moved to a new topic entitled, logically enough, "Enabling comments on posted images" on this link .

Cheers, David
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ian Wilson

Last edit: by David Seymour.

Accurate colour management 4 years 3 weeks ago #2346

• Ian Wilson
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 497
A few years ago one of our members showed us how to use the XRite Color Checker for colour management. The colour checker is generally used in fixed studio lighting situations such as in portrait, fashion and product photography. It is the standard method to produce custom colour profiles for the lighting, camera and lens combination. In outdoor work the colour checker must be held by the model for a few calibration shots or placed near the main subject and still within the field of view. XRite offer a convenient plug-in for LR that enables the colour checker image to be used to generate an accurate colour profile. Our BLP member showed how to use this same technique in the field to generate a set of colour profiles for his camera and lens in varying lighting conditions. The results looked very good.

I was inspired to get a colour checker and begin my own investigation of the issues with a summary of the most important results described earlier in this thread. I also did some comparisons between the colour checker results obtained with DPP, ACR and RAWTherapee. The most important differences were between DPP and ACR, specifically in the red channel which was more saturated in 16-bit TIFFs produced by ACR. As ACR and LR share the same RAW adjustment and conversion engine and the same camera profiles, I expect this will be the case with LR images. To get ACR images that more closely match the colour checker calibration required more work than necessary when using DPP renderings. I did not take this study any further, satisfied that the colour science embedded in DPP was doing a good job.

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.