blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
News about BirdLife Photography.

Poll:Should we have a "Creative Images" gallery?

Yes
62 91.2%
No
6 8.8%
Total number of voters: 68 ( Malcolm Cousland, Tom Tymons, Peter Johnston, Bronwyn Scanlon, Adam S Kraska ) See more
Only registered users can participate to this poll

TOPIC:

"Creative Images" Gallery - Suggestion and Poll 7 years 11 months ago #523

• Georgina Steytler
  • Thank you received: 7
I think that having a separate gallery for these kinds of images is a great idea and is a compromise for both ways of thinking - if you are a traditionalist then you dont ever have to look at the creative gallery. If you are creative or want to experiment, its an excellent way to share and encourage others to think outside the box.

A great example of thikning outside the box is the recent Audubon (US) Photo comp winners - they show how you can take technically perfect images that are also incredibly beautiful and artistic. These kinds of images inspire ordinary people and that is what our birds need. We need to engage with the public and sometimes a pin-sharp bird with a clear background, whilst technically perfect, is not always inspirational. Please take a look: https://www.audubon.org/magazine/may-june-2016/the-2016-audubon-photography-awards-winners

In reality, we need ALL kinds of bird images. We need the technically perfect for ID purposes and scientific pieces, journal articles, magazines etc but we also need images that inspire imagination of the 'non-birding' public in a way the 'usual images' just cant do.

Georgina "aka Squawker"

Please Log in to join the conversation.

"Creative Images" Gallery - Suggestion and Poll 7 years 11 months ago #527

• Tony Ashton
  • Thank you received: 6
I really don't care much either way. So I'll take what might be considered a slightly querulous tone and ask whether
there's a need for it in view of other sites not so devoted as birdlife to strictly ethical birding, and if future weekend workshops
would get into 'creative' photography - with all that might imply. As they say, be careful what you wish for!

Cheers all
Tony Ashton
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andrew Browne

"Creative Images" Gallery - Suggestion and Poll 7 years 11 months ago #529

• Chris Dubar
  • Thank you received: 9
I agree we should aspire to having images as good as those from the Audubon competition winners on our site, but do they need to be included in a separate gallery?

It is not clear how much post processing these images have had, but they surely they could be in the 'Premier Images' gallery. As Georgina has said they can be technically perfect and artistic at the same time. I do believe however we should normally disclose the post processing details of images that we post.

Rob started the discussion by including two example images - one of an accidental blurred exposure and another of a creative 'fine art' image. Georgina's image is of course excellent and I would be happy to hang a copy on my wall but I am not sure that there will be enough interest across the membership to warrant a separate gallery - but if the results of the poll prove otherwise I am happy to go along with it. An alternative would be to have a competition theme once a year especially for "creative images" where you can submit images without disclosing the details of post processing.
I for one already seem to spend too much time in front of the computer rather than taking photographs

Chris Dubar
The following user(s) said Thank You: Georgina Steytler

"Creative Images" Gallery - Suggestion and Poll 7 years 11 months ago #530

• Lindsay Hansch
  • Thank you received: 0
I think it is a good idea. I am not a "creative" person myself but I appreciate that others are so I support the new gallery

"Creative Images" Gallery - Suggestion and Poll 7 years 11 months ago #531

• Andrew Browne
  • Thank you received: 26
Sorry the above majority. The idea is totally lost on me.
Cheers AB

"Creative Images" Gallery - Suggestion and Poll 7 years 11 months ago #532

• Jeni Mackenzie
  • Thank you received: 0
Wonderful idea - should bring forth some amazing images!

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.