blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
How and where to take great bird pictures.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Using Flash with Raptors 4 years 6 months ago #2201

• Andrew Browne
  • Andrew Browne's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 26
Looking for opinions re the use of flash enhanced with Better Beamer for raptor photography. Does the raptors fantastic sight make them more prone to be greatly disturbed by flash or are the same as the average bird and it's not an issue? I'm interested in members opinions. Thanks and cheers Andrew
Cheers AB

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Using Flash with Raptors 4 years 6 months ago #2215

• Bruce Terrill
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 47
Hi Andrew,
Thanks for your question mate and one which I now think should be discussed, at length, by an ethics committee and advised to the broader community when a decision has been made?
I have certainly seen some wonderful images taken with flash and my personal view is now, that with the advancements of the capabilities of adjustable ISO and maybe the use of a torch beam (not focused) directly on the animal should/would be a better way to approach a subject. I know that this will open a can of worms with some users of flash, but my question to them would be, How would you like a concentrated beam of light blasted into your eyes in the middle of the night? Of course it affects the animal, any animal, not just Raptors with their sensitive night vision capabilities. . .
I have also seen this exact topic discussed on Facebook, two different threads, recently. One of the OP's was discussing the use of flash as fill flash during daylight and neither thread received any 'positive' comments for the use of flash under either circumstance.
IMHO.
Bruce

Using Flash with Raptors 4 years 6 months ago #2216

• Andrew Browne
  • Andrew Browne's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 26
Thanks Bruce for your reply. My main interest in the use of flash was for dawn photography, so flash not at full power. I'd never consider full flash on birds and esp any, incl raptors, at night. Probably more classed as flash fill is what I was considering. I'd be interested in what our BLP committee, or ethics committee if we have one, think on this subject. BLP were very quick to outlaw nest photography and playing callback. . Also I've mentioned in this forum previously the use of food/baits to attract birds and also the use of live baits which BLP has condoned in the past. Enjoy viewing your images and travel on the BLP Facebook page: looks like you're getting out more and have some how have an acceptable management plan for your spinal issue. Thanks & cheers Andrew
Cheers AB
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bruce Terrill

Last edit: by Andrew Browne.

Using Flash with Raptors 4 years 6 months ago #2217

• Bruce Terrill
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Hey Andrew,
Thanks for your reply and concern mate, I'm struggling at the moment but things have certainly been better.
In all honesty mate, I would never have pegged you with doing anything wrong by our birds and I can see through your questions to the Forum, that you too, have been trying to steer your way through the ethics associated with today's approach to Bird Photography.
I was up at Lake Wendouree the other day and found a Crested Pigeon nesting on a very low but well hidden branch. I immediately moved about 3-4metres away from the subject and through the branches of another tree focussed and took a few snaps and then left the bird alone. Walking away, a thought came to me and I said out loud "Oh shit, I just photographed a nesting bird.", at which time I looked around for any prying eyes from any predators who might have seen my activities. It never dawned on me until after the fact, that I knew that my actions were wrong and I have since taken the 'me' time to have a bit of a think about my approach to the birds that I love sooo much?? At least you are going about it the right way, asking before you act. . .
I have noticed on a couple of Facebook Forums that there has been a lot of night time images of Raptors, Owls mostly, and these are said to have been photographed using the edge beam of a powerful torch. You can see from the images that the Ow's eyes are fully dilated for the evening light and torch beam or not, I think that the light would be uncomfortable? I read one of the OP's remarks when queried on the subject and he stated that "the light didn't bother the Owl, because I could hear it crashing through the branches as it flew away" !!! "Crashing through the branches", would suggest to me, that the Owl had lost its vision and couldn't see where it was going and that it was scared enough by the OP's activities that it decided to flee?
I've also noticed that one thread has turned a little 'ugly' and that thread is due to the posting of images of an Eagle's nest with fledgling chicks standing straight and tall.
As you say Andrew, some direction from the Committee would be very helpful and I also know that other FB Forums loosely follow our BirdLife Photography Code of Ethics and a change in how we do things me help create a flow-on effect through the community?
Hope that you are well mate and getting around, by the sound of pre-dawn Fill Flash, I'm happy for you.
Kindest regards,
Bruce

Last edit: by Bruce Terrill.

Using Flash with Raptors 4 years 6 months ago #2218

• Glenn Pure
  • Thank you received: 205
Sorry Bruce and Andrew as this reply may not be that helpful but there was a suggestion that the committee state a position on this. It's not something that's been examined in a methodical or scientific way by BLP as far as I know. Until that happens, it's going to be difficult to state a position. The current ethical policy on nesting birds and use of call playback was based on examination of literature and legislation as well as application of the precautionary approach. The latter is what I'd advise in this instance in the absence of a considered policy based on a review of research and literature. Certainly if the use of flash appears to be causing a reaction by the bird, it would be wise to discontinue.

Glenn
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andrew Browne, Bruce Terrill

Using Flash with Raptors 4 years 6 months ago #2219

• Bruce Terrill
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Thanks Glenn,
I will look into whether there's any reports, studies or guidelines on line and report back. . .
Bruce.

• Page:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.