blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
General discussion areas.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Birdlist checkbook 6 years 5 months ago #1467

• Peter Johnston
  • Peter Johnston's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 38
Hi gang
When I first joined BOCA 10 years ago. I received the 'Little Blue Birdlist'. I found this a handy little booklet.
Does Birdlife intend to one day publish a similar booklet?. I would be quite happy to pay a few dollars for such an issue. It may even be a way to make some extra revenue.
Anyone else interested in such an issue?.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bruce Terrill

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Birdlist checkbook 6 years 5 months ago #1468

• Bruce Terrill
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 47
Hi Peter,
I think that this is a great idea, but if I support it, it will somehow become 'my' idea and I will end up getting the blame for it?
The same as I was the one who got crucified for asking if an 'best of year' comp was judged any differently than a normal comp, so I'm staying out of things. . .
Good idea though!
Bruce

Birdlist checkbook 6 years 5 months ago #1469

• Rob Parker
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 113
Hi Peter,

The "Little Blue Book", as it was affectionately known by many, was a BOCA thing, not a PhotoBOCA (the forerunner of BirdLife Photograpy) one. If it were to be resurrected, it would need to be done by BirdLife Australia. I suspect, since it is no longer available, that they have already made a decision not to continue with it. Nevertheless, we'll forward your thoughts to them.

Rob.

PS. Topic moved to a more appropriate Forum area.
BirdLife Photography Website Administrator

Birdlist checkbook 6 years 5 months ago #1470

• Peter Johnston
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Thank you Rob
Yeah. Has nothing to do with Birdlife Photography.
I keep forgetting that this is a specific forum. My apologies!.
Thanks for forwarding the post.
As usual the forum is happy to help out.
Cheers.

Birdlist checkbook 6 years 5 months ago #1471

• Graham Cam
I'm genuinely interested to know why you would choose to use such a book in the digital era?

Peter Slater published The Birdwatchers Notebook for such a purpose in 1988; I think the last re-publishing of the book was 1995 and sales were few. Some of these older copies are still available but remember that there will be taxonomic changes since that last printing and hence no such taxonomic updates.

If I were asked for a cost-benefit analysis for producing such a book I would think the set-up costs would far outweigh the sales revenue. The taxonomy of Australian birds is virtually completed and unlikely to change due to the accuracy of DNA data, so this factor would not be a major factor, but any changes would still require reprints.

In terms of priorities, I would prefer BL to direct their efforts to a much larger project - reproducing the Handbook volumes as PDFs.

Most of us carry a laptop or tablet these days when we travel and with the BL checklist-V2 available for download in an Excel format, I cant see any use for a printed equivalent. A spreadsheet format is readily updated, it is searchable, it can be formatted and colour coded to individual requirements, it is readily edited and has so much more versatility. This is my preference.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bruce Terrill

Birdlist checkbook 6 years 5 months ago #1472

• Peter Johnston
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Hi Graham
I'm sure that's a question many people have asked.
Being slow to adapt to the digital age. I tend to hang on to the tactile world of books and prints.
In reflection. The profitability is not viable. So thanks for the nudge into the 21st century. I do need it!.
Cheers
Peter.

• Page:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.