blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
General discussion areas.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Inter Breeding 3 years 1 month ago #2703

• Geoffrey Stapley
  • Geoffrey Stapley's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2
This image of a Scaly Breasted Mannikin and a Chestnut Breasted Mannikin together preening leads me to wonder do these birds inter breed. I cannot find any information so far, maybe someone else knows something of this. If so could a whole new variation of one of these birds develop. I took this image at Tyto Wetlands there was a third bird hidden in the grass and not identified when they flew away and i was unable to follow . The images are only fair but recognizable I only managed three images
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Inter Breeding 3 years 1 month ago #2704

• Kevin Bowring
  • Thank you received: 1
Interesting theory Geoffrey, the bottom bird appears to be an immature Chestnut Breasted Mannikin, we have lots of them locally. The top bird could be a Nutmeg Mannikin which I have never seen. Juveniles and Immature birds can have wildly different plumage to the adults. Here are two Chestnut Breasted Mannikins that came in with a mob of Adults, one is only one or two days out of the nest, the other is about 5 to 7 days out of the nest.
As I have found out recently, identification can be difficult....Kevin Bowring Goomboorian Q
Attachments:

Inter Breeding 3 years 1 month ago #2705

• Rob Parker
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 113
The Scaly-breasted Mannikin (lonchura punctulata) is known as Nutmeg Mannikin in the taxonomy used on this website; if you were to try to submit a picture of one to our galleries you would not find Scaly-breasted Mannikin listed. The Chestnut-breasted Mannikin (L. castaneothorax) is reported to interbreed with the Yellow-rumped Mannikin (L. flaviprymna) - see this page on BirdLife Australia's Birds in Backyards site: https://www.birdsinbackyards.net/species/Lonchura-castaneothorax -and the Nutmeg Mannikin is reported to associate with Chestnut -breasted -see https://www.birdsinbackyards.net/species/Lonchura-punctulata - but there is no mention of interbreeding between those two species.
BirdLife Photography Website Administrator

Inter Breeding 3 years 1 month ago #2706

• Geoffrey Stapley
See my response to Rob Parker his references shed light on my image

Inter Breeding 3 years 1 month ago #2707

• Geoffrey Stapley
Rob thanks your references to the Birds in Backyard sites. They note the association of the birds I saw and explains a little of my question. When I go back to the Tyto Wetlands again I will need to be more vigilant in looking for these birds and their association .
Tyto Wetlands is an amazing place to visit if you get the chance. During the last 12-15 months during a number of visits I have always found a different bird to add to my list and knowledge..Thanks once again for your help
Geoff Stapley

• Page:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.