blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
General discussion areas.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Website speed 2 years 8 months ago #2852

• Rob Solic
  • Rob Solic's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 30
I am very curious to understand if it is only me that has an issue with the speed at which the Birdlife Photography page loads and the length of time that it takes to download videos such as the recent presentation, or are other people experiencing this also?

I am running at 100 Mbps and everything else loads or downloads in 'the blink of an eye', however, the "Members Inspiring Members" Zoom presentation took almost an hour to download only 300mb, and thus I cancelled the download so as not to have an impact on other peoples ability to view images.

Cheers,

Rob.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Website speed 2 years 8 months ago #2853

• Rob Parker
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 113
I don't think there's a simple answer to this. One important thing is that, in general, the download speed users get for an individual file download is not the same as the download speed to render a page in a browser - it's often considerably slower. One (of potentially many) reasons is that your browser and/or operating system is likely to throttle download speeds for files so that browsing speed is not compromised by a single file download hogging all the available connection speed.

The file you mention has a playing time playing time of 1:01:34; if I stream it from the site, it takes that long. If I choose the download option, on my (approx) 50 mbps connection, I can download the file (approx 370 MB) in about 40 minutes.

Hope this helps,
Rob
BirdLife Photography Website Administrator
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rob Solic

Website speed 2 years 8 months ago #2857

• Sylvia Mayer
  • Thank you received: 0
Good morning

I just wanted to add - when I load the page for competition to view images they come up fine....however when I then login to vote I cannot get the images to load - member number 135107. Any clues as to why this may be??? Or just slow internet - which doesn't seem to be the case seeing as how I can view them when NOT logged in?

Help :)

Website speed 2 years 8 months ago #2858

• Mary Wheeler
  • Thank you received: 6
Hi Rob,
I have the same issue. I have tried several times and like you I have given up
Cheers
Mary
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rob Solic

• Page:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.