blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
Discussions about cameras, lenses, accessories, and image-processing.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Digital Lens Optimizer 6 years 1 month ago #1662

• Peter Johnston
  • Peter Johnston's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 38
Hi
When the DLO is used in Canon's Digital Photo Professional 4.
It automatically adjusts to the 50 value. What circumstance might justify adjusting the value, higher or lower, or is 50 the optimum value and no need to mess with it?
Any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers
Peter Johnston.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Digital Lens Optimizer 6 years 1 month ago #1663

• Ian Wilson
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 497
Hello Peter,

I have played around with it quite a bit trying to discover what it can do. I have always come back to the default setting of 50. There is a good reason why it should not be cranked up too high; the underlying deconvolution operation will quickly start to introduce horrible artifacts. I suspect that Canon have deliberately limited the amount to make sure users are not pushing into the region where artifacts start to appear. Photographers are prone to pushing things too far, take for example the current fashion to use cameras without an anti-aliasing filter. They get a whole lot of fine detail that they think is real image information but is in fact a jumble of aliases.

Best wishes, Ian
The following user(s) said Thank You: Glenn Pure

Digital Lens Optimizer 6 years 1 month ago #1664

• Peter Johnston
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Yeah. When I was trying to improve the image by increasing the number. I couldn't see any noticeable improvement. I thought that I maybe doing something wrong.
That's a load off.
Thanks for that.

Digital Lens Optimizer 6 years 1 month ago #1665

• Glenn Pure
  • Thank you received: 205
Thanks Ian. I had not played with that in recent times myself and leave it set to '50'. Glad you were able to respond on this one.

For Peter: I notice you have posted this topic to 'From the Committee' (you may have done so on a previous post as well??). Either way, it's a good idea to select a more suitable category when posting in future using the dropdown box when you create a new topic. See screenshot below.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter Johnston

Digital Lens Optimizer 6 years 1 month ago #1666

• Peter Johnston
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Thanks Glenn
I will have to keep an eye on that.
Cheers

Digital Lens Optimizer 6 years 1 month ago #1667

• Rob Parker
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 113
I've moved this conversation to the appropriate category. There is a message in the forum heading that asks members to ensure that they post to the most appropriate category; it often seems to be ignored.

Rob
BirdLife Photography Website Administrator

• Page:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.