blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
Discussions about cameras, lenses, accessories, and image-processing.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Enabling comments on posted images 4 years 2 weeks ago #2382

• David Seymour
  • David Seymour's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 65
Hmmmm.
As the guilty party who initiated this line of discussion, after reading the posted responses I have to admit to having some second thoughts. I was particularly taken aback at the quoted examples of ego-driven back-biting, in response to input that was no doubt intended as helpful constructive criticism. I also see examples of the dangers of social media participation in some cases, where a photographer's self-image about their work can be built up to a point of being (to them) beyond criticism. I do wonder what percentage of photographers are inclined to react in these ways (hopefully low), but it can be very disruptive and upsetting when it occurs. Because of these sources of risk, I concur with Graham about the potentially large requirement for moderation associated with an introduction of Comments on submitted images.

Another point I was unaware of until it became clear in this discussion, is the frequency with which Moderators contact submitters of new images to bring attention to the need to correct faults before image acceptance. I thought that this was pretty rare, but it seems perhaps not. I recall being the recipient of such feedback at time of submission on a few occasions, including one from Graham Cam to do with the techniques involved in correcting red channel blowout affecting part of my image - the very helpful advice resulting in a vastly improved image. In that case, as well as an acknowledgement for the help, I was careful to include a brief explanation of the fix in Comments with the image so that others could learn from the feedback. It would be good if anyone receiving help in this 'hidden' way used the Comments field to do likewise.

I think it should be the right of Moderators to contact submitters of new images in regard to image problems. It would also be good to know that other experienced members continue to feel free to send image advice to other members, using the Contact Photographer button - but how to avoid the sort of issue that Ian encountered? The only thing I can think of is for the intending advice provider to first send a message asking whether the recipient wants feedback - maybe this could be automated in some way?

Anyway, it will be interesting to know what the Committee think. I apologise in advance for inadvertently re-opening a rather complex can of worms that they may have preferred remained closed!

Cheers, David
The following user(s) said Thank You: Glenn Pure

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by David Seymour. Reason: Wording correction

Enabling comments on posted images 4 years 2 weeks ago #2383

• Rob Parker
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 113
Hi David,

Apologies not necessary - it's useful for us to re-visit possible "cans of worms" occasionally. And we've done so on this occasion: at the April meeting last night, the committee unanimously decided to make no change to the commenting facilities in our galleries.- in essence agreeing with the points outlined by Graham in his posting yesterday.

We would like to see more members responding to images posted to the Critique Gallery (the only one where comments are allowed). SInce its inception, comments to those images have come from a very small handful of members, all of whom are fairly busy with committee and/or moderator duties. Any contribution by other members would be gratefully appreciated.

We have had a section in the Forum, "Post Your Images for Feedback", which has had no activity since the Critique Gallery was introduced. We also decied to remove that Forum category.

We'd also like to remind members that they can join our Facebook Group (a private group limited to BLP members), where they can post images and other members can comment as they wish, in an essentially unmoderated forum.

Rob
BirdLife Photography Website Administrator
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bob Young, Ian Wilson, Glenn Pure, Simon Pelling

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.