blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
Having trouble identifying a bird? Hopefully, someone here can help.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Fairy Wren Identification. 10 months 1 week ago #3466

• Gordon Roberts
  • Gordon Roberts's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
These photos were taken in Sobasado Park in Broome. It is mainly Pindan bush with drainage channel through it. These birds were moving along the edge of the bush and coming out into the drainage channel grasses and shrubs. I'm thinking that they are Variegated Fairy Wrens, (Note Pizzey and Knight show that these birds are here, Ebird state never reported.) I'm basing my ID on the head shot of the male. The blue cap bleeds down to the cheek. In both the superb and Splendid Fairy Wrens there is a solid black eye band. between the blue of the Cap and the blue on the cheek.
Would love your thoughts.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Fairy Wren Identification. 10 months 1 week ago #3467

• Simon Pelling
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 261
The blue males look like Variegated. According to the ABG it is the only blue wren at Broome.

The others are more problematic. Female and juvenile Variegated have dark lores (the area between the eye and the beak), and also the female had a blueish tail. I am not seeing either in the brown birds, so I don't think they are Variegated. I think you might have two species here, with the brown birds being juvenile or non-breeding Red-backed. The Red-backed has a very plain non-breeding appearance with a brown tail and plain lores.

Simon

Fairy Wren Identification. 10 months 1 week ago #3468

• Doug Castle
  • Thank you received: 34
eBird splits Variegated and Purple-backed Fairywrens. The blue males at Broome would be recorded in eBird as purple-backed FairyWrens. The Pizzey and Knight reference is the pre split listing.

Fairy Wren Identification. 10 months 1 week ago #3469

• Gordon Roberts
  • Gordon Roberts's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks Doug, I will see what ebird say. Do you now if Pizzey and Knight have updated their list.

Fairy Wren Identification. 10 months 1 week ago #3470

• Simon Pelling
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 261
v4 of the Birdlife working list of birds has also made this change, and has separated out 4 subspecies of Purple-backed.

• Page:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.