blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
Post links to your video clips; discuss video techniques.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

DaVinci Resolve 14 and a video clip of a Little Grassbird. 6 years 9 months ago #1209

• Les Peters
  • Les Peters's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 49
The new release of DaVinci Resolve puts it firmly ahead of Premier Pro for colour correction, grading and changing clip formats. This clip is possibly the first one I've posted where I can see most of the qualities of the original footage. That's an immense improvement, and remember, it's all for free. :-)

Vimeo will drop the quality of what you see if your broadband isn't up to speed, with the result that you may see something rather shabby. You can over ride this by clicking on the HD button seen on the bottom right of the panel and selecting 720 as the format. It make take longer to load, but I think it's worth it. The original was shot in 10 bit HD, using a Sony Z150 at 696 mm, F6.8, 50 frames a second with a shutter speed of one hundredth of a second, handheld.

Little Grass Bird
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bruce Terrill

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Les Peters.

DaVinci Resolve 14 and a video clip of a Little Grassbird. 6 years 9 months ago #1210

• Glenn Pure
  • Thank you received: 204
Thanks Les. That little bird is a fast mover!

Regarding DaVinci software, I'd find it useful if you had the time for a brief explanation of where this tool would fit in a video workflow and what other tools are essential for a basic video edit (esp freebies). I did attend your talk at DPITB but this is an unfamiliar area for me still. I'm also yet to figure out video settings on my new camera too but that's for me to sort out.

DaVinci Resolve 14 and a video clip of a Little Grassbird. 6 years 9 months ago #1214

• Les Peters
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
This is a brief summary of a presentation made to the “Birds in the Bush” meeting held at Geelong in March,
2017. It presented some of the basics of video, illustrating how it differs from still photography, and provided
hints on how to get the best video out of your DSLR or small camcorder.

Please feel free to post any video questions you might have on the forum and I’ll get back to you as soon as I can.
The original presentation can be viewed on Vimeo here: https://vimeo.com/211263454

Modern DSLRs have the facility to record excellent video, yet this is something most people don’t use. It
costs nothing to try, so why have a go?

Shutter Speed:
Video works best if you keep to a particular set of shutter speeds and their matching frame rates. In Australia
these settings are either 25 or 50 frames per second, matched to a shutter speed of either a 50th or 100th of a
second.

Unlike in still photography, you don’t use your shutter speed for exposure correction unless you absolutely
have to. If you shoot at faster shutter speeds than recommended, you will get a strobing affect which gives the
clip an unpleasant look, especially when you record a bird that is flying or moving quickly. On play back, it
will appear to have multiple sets of wings, and possibly an odd mechanical motion.

If you use too low a shutter speed, you’ll risk your image looking unfocused and it will be hard to follow the
movement. A shutter speed of a 50th of a second is the sweet spot where things will look natural. So, when
videoing, the problem often then becomes “how do I keep such a slow shutter speed in bright light?” The
answer is by using neutral density filters and using low ISO settings.

Unpleasant distortion:
DSLRS suffer from something called “rolling shutter”, also known as the “jello effect.” This happens because
still cameras generally aren’t designed to shoot a large number of frames quickly. The time taken for the camera
to record each frame from top to the bottom of each individual image can cause nasty distortions when
the camera is panning quickly. It results in you seeing vertical straight objects looking as though they are at
an angle and, at times, even bending.

The best work around for this problem is to put the back ground out of focus as much as you can, and to pan
only as quickly as experience has shown you is best for your camera. You can also do your “panning” in post
production, as is illustrated in the presentation at slide 48.

Unsteady as she goes
The other common problem with video is camera shake, which is very distracting. It can be masked quite
well when the camera is following a moving object- so long as you are able to follow it reasonably closely.
However, some form of support is recommended, and the best results generally come from a tripod with a
fluid head. Such tripods don’t have to be expensive.

How to see what you’re doing
Your mirror will be locked up when you record video, so you’ll be using your LCD to see what’s being recorded.
However, LCD’s aren’t bright enough to see your subject well when they are used in full sun, so get around
this by using a loupe or a hood, so you can better see your screen.

Video Post Production
If you want to avoid using post production, but want your clips to look the way you like, you should set up one
of your Picture styles ( Canon) or Picture controls (Nikon) to settings that best suit your preferences. Slide 78
of the presentation has more information about this.

If you do want to try your hand at post production, the best programs available are either Premier Pro or Da
Vinci Resolve. Resolve is a free program and if you stick to the basics, using it isn’t as alarming as it seems at
first sight. You’ll find there are many training videos on Vimeo and You Tube, and they will teach everything
from the basics to advanced work flows. Resolve is used by the majority of major movie studios and utilises
32 bit colour management. There is an excellent free training course to be found here:
http://filmsimplified.com/p/free-davinci-resolve-training

You'll see that everything you may want to do with a clip can be done in this program, including improving the sound,
colour and doing edits.

Colour management
If you shoot your video in full automatic mode, you will probably find you get problems with your colour and
exposure if your subject moves around a lot. This is especially true when movings from bright sunny areas
to shadows. Rapid alterations in exposure and colour balance can ruin a good shot. Generally, you’ll find a
shadowed image starts being quite dark and blue, then as the camera rapidly corrects the colour, your audience
will be distracted by the change. For this reason folk who shoot video for a living use manual settings for
everything, including auto focus. However video auto focus has improved over the last few years and is now quite reliable.
I recommend that you at least manual lock down your shutter speed to one of the settings we’ve already discussed.
Whether or not you use other auto settings depends upon how keen you are to control the look of
your scene. Using a grey card to set your colour temperature is worth while, but perhaps not when you’re just
starting out with video.

Do you need to tell a tale?
Audiences have a different expectations of video than they do for still images. A still image generally describes
a single moment in detail. A video clip usually tells a story, so think about getting extra material to set the
scene for the viewer. You’ll find people appreciate your clip that much more if you do

DaVinci Resolve 14 and a video clip of a Little Grassbird. 6 years 9 months ago #1215

• Les Peters
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Hi Glenn,
Resolve will do everything you might need to do with a clip, such as change colour, sharpness, brightness etc. It will also track things like faces and beaks, allowing you to change these aspects of a picture separate to everything else. This is done in the colour section, where there are also some auto settings that work well. In the edit section, you can cross fade clips, make cuts, pan, zoom in or out. Finally in the delivery part of the program, it will change the format and data rate to match where you are going to post the clip. It has settings for Vimeo, You Tube etc. This is possibly the hardest thing to get right in the past. You start with lovely video and put it up on the net, only to see your 100 megs per second reduced to 1 meg, and the picture look like it was recorded out of focus and the subject made out of wooden blocks. The latest version of Resolve does a dam fine job, as I hope you may have seen with the Grassbird clip. Subtle colours, but nicely rendered. Ditto the detail.
Good luck with it.
Les

DaVinci Resolve 14 and a video clip of a Little Grassbird. 6 years 9 months ago #1219

• Glenn Pure
  • Thank you received: 204
Les, thanks for two very helpful posts. I have printed them for future reference - I think I'll have to get a loupe for my viewfinder though. I remember the issues with using the LCD unaided on my old camera when I did a few videos on that.

Cheers
Glenn

DaVinci Resolve 14 and a video clip of a Little Grassbird. 6 years 9 months ago #1223

• Les Peters
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
No worries Glen. Hope it's of some use.

Back when I used my D300 a lot, I often put a piece of black cloth over my head - and the camera of course, to get a better view through the eye piece. If it was good enough for folk in the nineteen hundreds, it was good enough for me. Since then I've found things less of a problem with a full frame camera., and it also depends what you're photographing or filming. But I found it did help at the time..

You could try this if your subject doesn't mind. Satin Bowerbirds would probably regard it as a curious thing to do, and might even come that bit closer to have a look.

Cheers,
Les

• Page:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.