blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
General discussion areas.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Over saturated reds. 3 years 11 months ago #2414

• Bob Young
  • Thank you received: 8
Rodney, You are on the right track in assuming you need to do more in Photoshop. Over the past 4 weeks I have been working with Mark Locker to resolve a similar problem. The solution is to NOT use the Export function in Lightroom to save the image as a jpeg to be uploaded to BLP.
I will do a write up on this shortly, but to help you now, can you outlined how you converted your edited RAW image to a jpeg to upload to BLP. Your problem may not be the same as Mark's, so I need some more info before I can help resolve your problem.
Cheers, Bob

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Over saturated reds. 3 years 11 months ago #2415

• Simon Pelling
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 260
Hi Rodney, as Ian flags you will get this issue in reds and yellows. I find it a common problem with King Parrots and Robins where the reds are very easy to 'blow out'.

I would suggest you try a couple of things in the first instance (these can be done in Lightroom). Keep the Highlight Clipping warning on when you do this:

1. Adjust the brightness, particularly (as Glenn suggests) using the highlights slider and possibly the whites slider. You can do this globally, or you can use the local adjustment brushes to select the red areas.
2. Play around with the brightness and saturation of the reds using the HSL tab and the red slider.

In either case, be careful not to overdo it, particularly the HSL (its easy to reduce the nice bright reds to a kind of muddy colour). In my experience there is a bit of trial and error involved to get the optimal result. Robins also have the issue of deep blacks, and vivid white patches, so getting the brightness/shadows/whites/blacks levels will need some care.

Simon
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rodney Appleby

Over saturated reds. 3 years 11 months ago #2416

• Rodney Appleby
  • Rodney Appleby's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 50
Hi Bob,

I just use the Export function as is.

Cheers,

Rodney.

Over saturated reds. 3 years 11 months ago #2417

• Ian Wilson
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 496
Since this thread has gone off on a discussion of what can be done in post-processing to recover blown highlights, it might first be worth establishing whether or not the highlights are actually blown in the RAW data. To do this you will need to look at the RAW image RGB values in editing software that provides this information. You can examine this kind of data in software like DC Raw, Raw Digger and Raw Therapee (but not LR which bins the data into 255 samples for display and analysis).

Over saturated reds. 3 years 11 months ago #2418

• Rodney Appleby
  • Rodney Appleby's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 50
Yes, you are right it has wandered a little off-topic. I must admit if I need to start to get this complicated it would have to be a spectacular shot. At this point, I think the best thing is for me to work on taking a better picture anyway but thank you for the additional information.

Over saturated reds. 3 years 11 months ago #2419

• Glenn Pure
  • Thank you received: 204
I think you are being given multiple options and software solutions to deal with this: to provide flexibility of choice about what you'd like to use (and based on experience of what does the best job). I can understand this might look complicated now but I don't think it should be in reality. By using your preferred software for RAW processing, then photo editing, the process is actually fairly basic and simple once you've done it a few times. It all involve the same basic things that should be done when first processing a raw file (adjustment to white balance, exposure, highlights, shadows, black point and white point). Then the fine tuning in Photoshop, lightroom or whatever editor you have to make localised adjustments to contrast, colour, tonal range, noise etc. The aim is to do the minimum to recover an acceptable result and hopefully use the most effective software for the job, based on recommendations that preceded this.

• Page:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.