blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
General discussion areas.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Over saturated reds. 3 years 11 months ago #2408

• Rodney Appleby
  • Rodney Appleby's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 50
In looking for images for the Finches competition I had lot of images of Red-browed Finches but the red in the eye-brow was blown out. I have had this issue with a number of red birds which has ruined some lovely shots otherwise. Any advice on how to avoid this would be appreciated.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Over saturated reds. 3 years 11 months ago #2409

• Ian Wilson
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 496
Hello Rodney,

It is a problem we all face with all brands of camera. The camera works out the exposure on the assumption that your bird is something like a 18% neutral grey and does not take account of the colours. Camera sensors are particularly sensitive to red light so they invariably overexpose the red when they meter your bird as if it was a neutral grey object. The only way I know to manage this situation is use your previous experience when in the field and remember to deliberately under-expose birds with bright red parts by about 1 stop. Common examples are the 'red' robins and your finch. It will also be an issue with birds having bright yellow parts such as Eastern Yellow Robin because the red channel is strong in bright yellow tones.

Cheers, Ian
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rodney Appleby

Over saturated reds. 3 years 11 months ago #2410

• Glenn Pure
  • Thank you received: 205
Rodney, it might also be possible to recover the reds from the RAW file, assuming you are shooting in this mode. To achieve recovery, you'll need to use your RAW processing to do a combination of reducing the exposure, reducing highlights and moving the white point further to the right until you are able to see good detail in the red areas and the red channel isn't blown. You'll then need to take the resultant output image and recover a more acceptable tonal range and contrast in the rest of the photo by using selections or selectively editing parts of the photo in Photoshop or similar. Don't forget to keep the photo looking natural in the process as it can be easy to over-do it. If you're unable to recover acceptable detail in the reds at the initial RAW processing stage, the shot is probably unrecoverable.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rodney Appleby

Over saturated reds. 3 years 11 months ago #2411

• Rodney Appleby
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
I will have to remember to do this in my excitement of seeing some of the Robins :-). Thank you for the advice.

Over saturated reds. 3 years 11 months ago #2412

• Rodney Appleby
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
I only shoot in RAW so that art is OK. There are a few images that are probably worth playing around with. I have been lazy and just tried doing it Lightroom so a more targeted approach in Photoshop is the go. Thanks.

Over saturated reds. 3 years 11 months ago #2413

• Glenn Pure
  • Thank you received: 205
No reason Lightroom won't do the job either but you will need to make selective adjustments to the rest of the image if you are able to recover the reds.

• Page:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.