blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
Discussions about cameras, lenses, accessories, and image-processing.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Re: Help request on Nikon NEF RAW processing 6 years 10 months ago #1151

• Bruce Terrill
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 47

Warren Wilson wrote: Les,

Thanks for that. I have never had any problem getting first class results from my D300. I've carefully employed 'worlds best practice' to all aspects of shooting discipline with the D800 but have generally come away disappointed, particularly from a camera of that caliber. I may be barking up the wrong tree, however I've long suspected the D800 readily shows up 'shutter shock' or vibration.... given it is the first of the very high megapixel cameras. This issue is only ever spoken about in hushed tones, however Nikon suddenly release a D810 (not a D800s) with little fan-fare. Among other things, I read it has a newly designed, much improved shutter mechanism which at least gives off a less angry sound. Everyone knows how Nikon eventually addressed the faulty D600 shutter. It was simply replaced in the line-up by the D610.... with a re-designed shutter mechanism.
So I've decided to go with the flow. The Minister for Finance today approved the purchase of a new Nikon D810 :). I'll eat humble pie if necessary as I'll inform this forum if the problem stays and I'm the bad tradesman blaming his tools :-[ - or the issue goes away. 8)
Les.... thanks for bearing with me on this one.... watch this space.

Hi Warren,
I've never been able to find your written answer to the outcome of your new 810 purchase? Can you give us an update please because I think that from 'unofficial record, it was again Nikon fixing failures without notifying its public?
Bruce
The following user(s) said Thank You: Warren Wilson

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Help request on Nikon NEF RAW processing 6 years 10 months ago #1170

• Warren Wilson
  • Warren Wilson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 9
Bruce,

Apologies for my tardy response as I've been AWOL for a few weeks. The short answer is that my D810 has resolved my problem however it may be for a number of reasons....

I believe the D800 is a great camera as I've just spent 3 weeks photographing wildlife with a pro photographer friend who uses two D800s which (in his hands) both produced brilliant results. Perhaps I had an unfortunate 'Friday afternoon' lemon (a phenomenon which I suspect still occurs occasionally where stuff is manufactured), or perhaps my technique has improved as I grow older, or maybe my eyesight is now so poor that I fail to recognise my bad results when I see them, or perhaps after so much angst, I just want to see a better result.... either real or imagined, or a combination of all of the above!

In any case, I believe I'm getting consistently sharper (to my eye anyway) results with the D810. As an aside, I recently got a D500.... and what a beauty it is!! :)

Regards,

Warren

(Edit) This has now drifted a little off- topic..... sorry.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Warren Wilson.
  • Page:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.