blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
Having trouble identifying a bird? Hopefully, someone here can help.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Another Tern conundrum 1 year 1 week ago #3404

• Michael Hamel-Green
  • Michael Hamel-Green's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 5
Another Tern conundrum, this time between Fairy and Little Tern. The white forehead could be either, as too the yellow bill. and darker outer primaries, although perhaps the latter might be more characteristic of a Little Tern in breeding plumage. On the other hand, there is no black tip to bill that you would expect to see on a Little Tern, so perhaps it is a Fairy Tern. It was certainly relatively small. Hoping someone can help.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Another Tern conundrum 1 year 1 week ago #3405

• Ian Wilson
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 496
Hi Michael. Looks like another Crested Tern to me. Cheers, Ian

Last edit: by Ian Wilson.

Another Tern conundrum 1 year 1 week ago #3406

• Bindi Hillen
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi Micheal,
I agree with Ian.
This looks more like a crested due to:
The not full black cap on the head (as would be seen in fairy or little breeding plumage) (and doesn't have black tip whereas little tern would)
The beak being completely yellow (non-breeding fairy and little terns have got Black bill)

Last edit: by Bindi Hillen.

Another Tern conundrum 1 year 1 week ago #3407

• Michael Hamel-Green
  • Michael Hamel-Green's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 5
Dear Ian and Bindi,
Many thanks for your very helpful clarification that it is a Crested Tern. I was seeing a smaller Tern at the time and realise I have another photo of a Tern taken round the same time, and this time with a black bill and quite large white forehead (see attached). Perhaps this is a Fairy or Little Tern. I am seeing quite a few Terns at Werribee at the moment and I am trying to learn how to better distinguish them.
Michael
Attachments:

Another Tern conundrum 1 year 1 week ago #3409

• Ian Wilson
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 496
Ah! Now we are seeing something different. I think I can see a hint of a dark carpal-bar, like in adult non-breeding Little Tern. And as you are observing a small tern, I think Little Tern is a good bet given the time of year and location.

Another Tern conundrum 1 year 1 week ago #3411

• Craig Lakey
  • Thank you received: 21
Hi Michael,

Wondering if you managed to photograph the recent Black Tern in your travels to WTP?

Best regards,
Craig
BirdLife Photography Communications Coordinator

• Page:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.